8.02.2012

Quirky Flowing Contemporary Lamp

I just finished this lamp project which was inspired by a photo I saw. You never know where and when inspiraton will strike! Directions follow on how I made it.

Closeup of the white crackle glaze bowl with shells.
I love the seafoamy-flowing wave at the top of the lamp.

This is the large white crackle glaze bowl that I found in my favorite thrift store - a great score at $9.00!



I started with a simple lamp that I found for $7.50.
Simple linen gauze curtain from thrift store for $2.50.
I orginally tried the lamp with the shade it came with, but the pattern showed through the linen. So, I carefully removed the shade.....
....and covered it with a translucent film that I happened to have on hand.

To keep the fabric in place and to insure a clean edge, I stitched the curtain into a tube with an elastic band at the bottom.
I mixed up the wallpaper paste in a bucket and plunged the fabric into it, being sure to work the paste thoroughly into the fabric. It was a messy process, if you try this, be sure to wear rubber gloves.

I carefully hung the lamp, with the wet fabric tube attached, being careful to mass the bottom on the plastic for easy removal. I tried arranging it various ways until I found something that I thought would look good when turned upright. I then left it to dry for a good 48 hours. I was happy with how the wall size made a good sturdy shade which kept the pattern I wanted.


And violĂ ! Here is my lamp along with the crackle glaze bowl filled with sea shells and sponge.. I think the lamps looks great against this African Kuba Raffia Textile. Simple and Contemporary. Total cost of lamp and bowl:$23.00.




Let me know what you think, and show me your projects as well! Until next time....

No comments:

Post a Comment