5.29.2012

From Pauper to Princess




 Moroccan style, stencil design, terra cotta, rich colors
Having a beautiful bedroom doesn't have to cost an arm and a leg. Vibrant colors can be so beautiful and seductive, sending a powerful rush to the senses making you feel rich and sensuous. Combined with thrift store finds, and with pillows sewed at home, here is my latest bedroom project just completed, turning my client's pauper style bedroom into one fit for Moroccan royalty!



Stencil Design, Lime paint, Royal Design stencils, Moroccan style bedroom, faux finish

Here is a closeup detail of the stencil design I used called 'Moroccan Lace' sourced from Royal Design Studios. I was excited to find a wide selection of stencil design styles at Royal Design Studio  They have very beautiful stencils along with lots of information showing you how to stencil successfully. Be sure to check them out at:   http://www.royaldesignstudio.com/. 


  
Bedroom makeover, DIY design
This is a 'before' photo of the bedroom; the client had been really roughing it, waiting until the right time and designer came along to transform her space. She wanted something very warm and exotic, so we decided on a Moroccan theme.





This is the brass container I found at a thrift store, priced at $9.00.







 Here are burgundy colored silk dupioni curtains from Pottery Barn which I used to make the pillows.  In one curtain, there was enough fabric to make three large pillow covers; priced at $4.49 it was a great deal! The other pillows I made from magenta colored velvet and silk satin purchased from Discount Fabrics in San Francisco, CA.




And finally, here is the Moroccan style table I found at a thrift store priced at $31.00. It had some water stains which came out easily after a few passes with an electric sander; after two coats of ebony stain, it looked as good as new.



 I first painted my accent wall in a terra cotta color. Now I used lime paint, mixing the colors myself using powdered earth pigments, but you could use any flat wall color. Then, using a bubble level, I positioned the stencils and carefully applied the metallic paint using a small roller.

 

 I used Metallic Paints from a line called Modern Masters which has many wonderful shades of metallic paints. So hard to choose which color to use. I'm sure I'll be doing more projects with these just so that I can use some of those other colors!



 Small sized paint tray and rollers make for easy application. Be sure to mark the tiny triangle registration marks so that the pattern runs smoothly.



 And again, here is my client's beautiful bedroom - fit for a princess! Total spent: $300



 Zooming in on the peonies for a closeup shot - I love peonies!




Now, I would like to hear about your makeovers, just drop me a line in the comments section below, and I'll post them on the blog!


No comments:

Post a Comment