4.30.2012

Apocthecary Spice Jars



I love old apothecary jars like those used in antique pharmacies so I decided to make my own. Here are my finished jars; directions for making them follow.



 I collected multiple glass cylinder containers at my local thrift store, making sure that they were more or less the same height. I searched out large round corks to fit, which proved much harder to find. I finally found a source from a kitchen supply store in Napa priced at $4.95 each, bringing the price of each jar to around $7.00.



I designed spice labels on my computer using PhotoShop using the latin names for each spice or herb container, then printing them on high quality 100% cotton antique white resume paper. Using an Exacto razor knife and a straight edge, I cut them to size. The labels are then affixed to the glass cylinder using heavy weight clear packing tape.


It is important to make sure the labels line up correctly on the back side, which you can see I failed to do here. Cut the tape slightly larger and wider to protect the edges assuring the labels adhere to the glass cleanly.

And once again, here are my spice jars. Everyone who sees them in my kitchen comments on how unusual and beautiful they look. Tell me, what do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment